50 free things to do outdoors
One of the hardest things about keeping the kids entertained in the school holidays is the cost. Trying to find things that they will all enjoy doing, and preferably gets us out of the house to minimise clean up, is not an easy task. So I thought I would try and come up with 50 free things to do outside, it seemed like a good round number. It took some thinking but I got there. We have done most of these things with our kids at some point, and some we've yet to tick off.
A rather philosophical conversation with the kids the other day led us to the conclusion that there isn't much that is truly free, going to the beach costs nothing, but at some point we bought the bucket and spade, we used petrol getting there and often you have to pay to park. But technically these things are free, so go enjoy!
*some things are local to Swansea, but there is plenty that isn't location specific.
1. The park (because what kid doesn't love the park?!)
2. A picnic (you've got to have lunch anyway, why not take it outside)
3. Visit the beach
7. Go on a scavenger hunt (see previous blog post)
8. Go on a treasure hunt (draw a little map for them to follow and hide a little treat at the X)
9. Go for a walk (It doesn't have to be a big one, there is so much your kids can see and discover just walking around the block)
10. Swim in the sea
11. Play catch
12. Fly kites
13. Make a phone out of plastic cups or tin cans and a piece of string, and get out and test them.
14. Draw outside with pavement chalk
15. Go on a bug hunt
16. Go bird watching
17. Build a den
18. Skim stones
19. Go star gazing
20. Roll down a hill
21. Climb some trees
22. Play pooh sticks
23. Dance in the rain
24. Dance in the sun
25. Head to the sea front and try out the fitness challenge, it's meant for grown ups but my kids love it. (but obviously make sure to keep them safe)
26. Visit Clyne gardens
27. Visit Penllergare woods
28. Walk from Parkmill to Three cliffs
29. Walk from Penmaen to Tor bay
30. Or walk from Penmaen to Nicholaston
36. Do some gardening
37. Paint some rocks
38. Make mud pies
39. Jump in muddy puddles (Yes we're big Peppa fans here)
40. Have a bbq on the beach (Or even just in your garden)
41. Make a Campfire
42. Cook s'mores on your campfire
43. Or roast marshmallows
44. Blow bubbles
45. Go wild blackberry picking
46. Watch the sunset
47. Watch the sunrise (if you're an earlybird, or maybe save it for winter!)
48. Go geocaching
49. Make a daisy chain
50. Dress up as superheroes and go for an adventure/walk
And thats 50!
If you have other free things you love to do outdoors please do share them in the comments. And if this post inspires you to try something on the list, or you've already done some of the things, i'd love for you to share your photos. Either here in the comments, on my Facebook page, or if you are on instagram use the hashtag #Rachaels50freethings so i can see what youve been doing!